Senior Developer with Console Porting Experience
We are looking for a developer with console porting experience in Unity, to join our studio in central Copenhagen and work in a team of 5 developers. The ideal candidate will bring a mix of programming and software architecture skills, logic sense, teamwork and communication skills. We are looking for an experienced person, who can work with existing codebase/architecture, but also play a major part in defining the future standards of the company’s projects.
We always have several things cooking in our kitchen. You’ll be joining work on porting our upcoming game Gerda: A Flame in Winter, as well as on in-development projects, where you’ll be central in our multiplatform strategy.
PortaPlay is your friendly neighbourhood developer, combining storytelling with non-casual gameplay. We primarily develop premium games grounded in reality but with a fantastic twist. We are artistically ambitious, and make bold games that go beyond entertainment to say something about our world. We work mostly on our own IP but have some work-for-hire on the side. The company has an ongoing partnership with the French developer/publisher DontNod (Life is Strange, Tell Me Why, Vampyr, etc).
Our work culture is focussed, sociable and friendly. We value open discussion and respectful feedback, sharing ideas and opinions, taking initiative and thinking ahead. We encourage every person in our team to have their own creative autonomy, where work with directors and other stakeholders is an open conversation around shared goals.
PortaPlay is an English-speaking team of around 15+ people with a semi-flat structure (art, tech, and design departments, each with a single lead). We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage people of any and every background to apply.
Life at PortPlay
Our studio is located at the very heart of Copenhagen, in a lovely neighbourhood and extremely accessible by public transport and by bike from anywhere in the city. We work 9 to 5, five days a week, with flexible hours; we value a relaxed workstyle and healthy work-life balance, and strive to minimise stress and overtime. We do not work nights or weekends – your private time is precious. Vacation days are according to the Danish standard, and the entire company goes on a summer hiatus in July.
We are studio-first workplace, but we allow ourselves to work from home every now and then, if someone needs a quiet day to focus on a big task, or if the plumber is coming. We provide lunch every workday and we eat together at noon. We’re not a “fampany” that will take over your free time, but we do have casual friday-beers (and non-alcoholic alternatives!) together, and celebrate a few traditions together, like a summer BBQ, or a christmas lunch.
Objectives of this Role
- Planning and executing the porting of Gerda: a Flame in Winter to PS5
- Plan future games and ports in regards to architecture and best practices
- Optional: take part in the porting of the game to Switch
- Optional: take part in the general development of the game’s architecture and tools
- Research and document compliance rules and other porting-related standards
- Setup porting environment, build and test the game
- Create and maintain all needed task tickets for the full porting cycle
- Manage any dependencies in regards to the console submission process (online porting portal, APIs, documentation requested etc.).
- Coordinate with the Art team about potential optimizations, shader and render changes etc.
- Brief internal and external QA for new builds
- Coordinate deliveries with the Project Manager and the Game Director
Expected Key Skills:
- Console porting experience
Bonus – Experience with any of the following is a plus:
- Experience with specific platforms (Primary PS4/5, secondary Xbox/Switch/mobile)
- Experience with shaders/rendering
- Commercially launched games on various platforms
The pipeline, organisation and office
We are working in Unity, using GIT. We work in self-organised teams in a flat hierarchy structure. Work is mainly on-site from our office in the centre of Copenhagen. Crunch is something we actively strive to avoid, and rely instead on proper planning, individual responsibility, and empowering team-members who come up with opinions and solutions.
- The position is full time, salary and terms depend on qualifications
- The position can begin from September/October and is permanent
- Office located in the centre of Copenhagen
10 August 2022
Please apply with a portfolio and C.V. with links to projects that can be showcased (playable/video/stills) – preferably including samples of source files, for technical review (e.g. scripts in C# or C++).
Send questions and your application to firstname.lastname@example.org